Since OpenOffice.org 3.0 was released, with its native Mac OS X port, I was dying to have NeoOffice removed because even in its 2.2 incarnation it was excruciatingly slow, notably when navigating styles. What’s more the 3.x branch has had many performance improvements and bug fixes in many areas, along with many features I like and use, like export to MediaWiki.
Since now however, I encountered many crashes all around 3.x, including development versions. A surefire way to trigger a crash was to go to Options/Preferences dialog and manipulate the tree view on the left. Beachball ensues in a few seconds. I couldn’t believe they’d release 3.0 without having ironed out that kind of showstopper and indeed no upstream bug report would match this behavior.
So lately I looked around high and low, and it turned out Zooom2 was the culprit, or so it seems. As soon as I quitted it, OO.o behaved completely normally, and as soon as I started it, well, crash crash crash. So goodbye Zooom2, which anyway I didn’t use that much lately. To be fair I used it a lot during my transition from Linux to Mac OS X, when I used keyboard+mouse window dragging, but the Mac windows have so much draggable areas that it’s just plain easy to click them around if you ever need to.